Sonntag, 22. Juni 2008

Once Upon A Time...

Hello World. This is not my first blog entry. I usually show off with the fact that I started a home page in 1997 which I called „online diary“, which is, of course, the first weblog ever. So I am the inventor of Web 2.0 and actually I should earn all the money.

Okay. Next step. I am too lazy (no, of course I am not too incompetent) to program my own new weblog based on php and such stuff. I was really amazed how much things changed since 1997 – it took me just five minutes to set up this blog! Nice.

So why blog? It is kind of strange to write stories which everybody can view and hardly anybody reads. Why do people write blogs? Today I got this impulse and I still can't make much sense of it. So let's try to find a reason on the fly.

People tend to say that they want to share their thoughts, creativity, experiences and stuff. Unfortunately, most people do not have so much to share which can be put down in words in a blog. Me neither. I am just a quite normal guy who could actually do nicer things than writing this nonsense.

Okay, but let's stick to the sharing-type of thing. What does sharing mean? Whenever I share anything I give something to somebody. Hm. Sharing is quite equivalent to giving. I can give things to you people. Do you want it? Probably not. It looks as if I am willing to give something you actually don't want to you guys. Hence, I do not seem to be interested in the fact whether you want what I have to give. Obviously, I am not at all interested in you. Does, therefore, a weblog make any sense?

Of course it makes sense. What do you think?

Firstly, when writing down thoughts, they become much clearer to me. This is an advantage I would also have by not giving anything to „the public“.

So I give something to you. May I expect to get something in return? I guess, I do. People created this „Comments“-Button under each post that hardly anybody ever uses. So? I expect comments. What does feedback do?

Feedback can motivate me. It can demotivate me. Feedback hurts. Feedback helps. Feedback, consumed appropriately, puts me back to reality.

I really have to be sure that the things I would like to share are such that I really want to have feedback on them. And I have to be sure that I use this feedback appropriately.

So, I will share thoughts, creativity, experiences. But only those of which I think they are worth feedback. Yet, there is another problem. Concerning some topics, everybody seems to be an expert. This yields a tremendous variance in the quality of comments and it becomes very difficult to discern which comments make sense and which don't. Such topics especially are social relations, friends, ethics, religion, sex...and photography.

Thus, this blog is dedicated to photography ;P

Here we go (again)...

Keine Kommentare: